Friday, May 22, 2009

Names...

This one has us stumped. We're having a girl. This we know. What we don't know is what in the world to name that girl! With EmmaLee, we had her name picked out from the time that we were dating. EmmaLee Anne. I had always wanted that name for a girl and James had always wanted Ryan James for a boy. I guess we just assumed that we'd have a boy next and we didn't pick out any girl names because we were so convinced that this one was a boy. Surprise! Now what do we do?
Every name that I pick, James shoots down. Every name that James picks, I don't like. We have tried out Meg, Addyson, Addylyn and Marguerite, but we're not agreeing. We asked EmmaLee what to call her baby sister and she thought about it for a moment and then replied, in all seriousness, "Baby":) How simple that would be until about... Kindergarten!
James likes what I term as "cheerleader names". Names like Brittany, Tiffany and Ashley. I have a hard time imagining her in 50 years being called "Grandma Brittany". It just doesn't sound right. But the names that I have submitted for his approval he says are too short (Meg) or sound strange for a little girl...
My biggest hangup in the naming process is that I want it to be something different, but not weird. I want a name that isn't popular. I had a name like that- I've met only one girl in my life that was my age and had my name. After we named EmmaLee, we heard that it was the most popular name for girls the year she was born. Ugh. Being a teacher, I know how much it stinks to have multiple kids with the same name in a class and having to call them Ashley C. and Ashley R. and I don't want that for my kids.
Maybe we should open it up to everyone else in a name pool or something like that. Everyone submit a name and if we choose yours, you win the pot. Any takers? :)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds great, I think the names that I would have used however, if I didn't already use "W" names, have already been taken by my sister Mary, or my sister-in-law Erin...crazy how that works huh? How about: Lucy, Clara, Rachel, Nattalie...Of course, if you want to name her after her aunt, you could just call her Sarah...I really don't mind! Just kidding. I only wish that I had that problem...picking out a girl name...unfortunatly, I don't believe that I will ever have that problem...Have fun! I look forward to hearing what you will call her. Lot's and Lot's of Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even tell you how hard it is for us to come up with names. Its all Skylar's fault-he doesn't like anything! It took us almost three days to name Maylee!
    I just make a list of names I like and take it to the hospital with us. Once our babies were born we were able to see them and Skylar had an easier time picking out a name. But, here are a few I like...
    Brooklyn
    Hannah
    Heidi
    Tessa
    Ava
    Ayla
    Phoebe
    Sofie
    Cosette
    Abby
    Maya
    Jayda
    Sofia
    Kinsly
    Kiera
    Kelyn
    Kari :)
    Londyn
    Bostyn
    Karis (like Paris)
    And a lot more, but my brain stopped thinking. Good luck! Can't wait to hear what it turns out to be! And you look great, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Kristi named her baby Kambri, and there is always Kambria.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My vote goes for Tiffany hehe! Brent and I had Elli Rose picked out for the girl we never had.

    ReplyDelete