Thursday, January 20, 2011

Lessons...

EmmaLee and Maycee have been keeping life interesting- to say the least. BOTH girls lost an earring today. The only reason I realized it: I stepped on Maycee's earring back. I had no idea she was missing one! I thought it was Emm's, but when I found the earring itself, it was Maycee's! yikes. So, then I realized that they both had lost one. *sigh* I had serious flashbacks to when I was little and had lost one of my Peridot birthstone earrings- on multiple occasions- and how Mom had made me stay in my room until I had found it. After about 30 minutes of THAT nightmare being passed on to my own daughter, I went in to help her look for it. A very clean room- but no earring- later, I realized that a $5 pair of earrings was NOT worth this stress. So, we changed to a different pair and called it done.

Well, things only got more exciting from there. I always take my earrings and rings off when I sleep, so today for naptime, I did my usual routine. I was woken suddenly by my phone, and when I went to answer it, I didn't put my jewlery back on. I passed them on the bedside table and had a fleeting thought to not leave them there, but ignored it. I went on about my business- cooking dinner, cleaning up, etc, etc... went in to put my rings back on after doing the dishes, only everything was gone except one hoop earring. I panicked!
I found the other earring & my sapphire ring by moving things around and searching dilligently, but couldn't find my wedding ring- anywhere. At this point, James came in. I was sobbing! He must've thought I was nuts. He kept promising me as he held me that he'd buy me a new one and that it'd be ok... it didn't help. I'm a woman! Doesn't he realize what our wedding rings mean to us?!
We tore our bedroom apart and didn't find it. The impossibility of our task kept hitting me again and again. James asked if I wanted to pray, but I didn't answer. I couldn't shake the feeling that it was such a dumb thing to pray for... surely He wouldn't find it important enough to help us with finding it. I eventually whispered a fervent and short prayer, begging Him for help. Five minutes later in our searching in different rooms, James came up and handed me my ring. Maycee had taken it and dropped it on the kitchen floor when something else had caught her attention and it had rolled under the toe kick to the sink cabinet. Again, I started sobbing. I immediately thanked Heavenly Father. Lesson learned a little more. Will I ever stop being stubborn and turn to him in all things as he asks us to? I'm not sure why I keep thinking he won't listen or will be to busy to help me. Apparently he DOES listen and help in little things too. Thank goodness for that. And next time, I'll listen when I'm told not to leave something within reach of an 18 month old. Another lesson learned a little more.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Marianne...I understand completely! Just a thought...Do you think that maybe those 'fleeting' thoughts that we sometimes have are to prepare us for another lesson...one that would teach us to rely more on our Father in Heaven in ALL things...no matter how simple and silly they may seem to be? I often wonder "If only I had paid more attention to that thought/feeling!", or "Was that a prompting?"....I am learning that Heavenly Father teaches in many different ways, and that sometimes those thoughts/feelings that we have and sometimes ignore or don't give a second thought to, are windows, if you will, opened by a Loving Father in Heaven to teach us other important life lessons. Love you...Hope you know that. I think that you are a great mom, wife,sister and friend! You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often thought, "I wonder if Heavenly Father tires of my silly prayers?" I pray to find all sorts of things, including pacifiers, keys, etc. I know Wes always thought I was crazy, until one day he called me because he couldn't find his ipod for school anywhere. I asked him, "did you pray about it?" and he said, "no". So I told him to pray about it and five minutes later he called me back and told me that he found it under a bunch of trash under the drivers seat in his car...who would have thought. It's so wonderful that Heavenly Father cares so much about us to help us find those things that are important to us, no matter how small. Thank you Marianne for such a great reminder. HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete